The Believers Marathon Part 19: Generosity

The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller.  The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped.  Proverbs 11:24-25

Time is Money
Time is Money (Photo credit: Tax Credits)

In the book Run to Win by Christine Caine, she makes the statement that winners are generous.  As we are running our believer’s marathon, being generous is always a wise course of action.  In Webster’s 1828 dictionary, it says the definition of generous is full; overflowing; abundant; as a generous cup; a generous table.  I like the idea of overflowing.  Generosity is more than just monetary; there are as well, other ideas of generosity.  To me there are three different ways we can be generous.  The first one is of course monetary or money.  The second way we can be generous is with our time.  The third way is we are generous with ourselves.

Generosity with our money is taking the extra God provides us with and to give it toward a Christ cause.  Being generous doesn’t mean giving our tithe.  The tithe is what God expects us to do as faithful Christians.  We are to give the first 10% of our income to God.  He lets us keep the other 90%.  Anything that is beyond the 10% is generosity.  God will give you extra if you are faithful to the tithe.  In our church, we have a 90-day money back guarantee that if you are not blessed within the 90 days of giving your tithe we will refund your money.  We have yet to give back money because God blesses the people who tithe.  Usually generosity comes when we are faithfully tithing.

The second way of generosity is with our time.  Time is a difficult thing because it’s fleeting.  Time is always moving and hard to manage sometimes.  The interesting thing about time is if you are passionate enough about something, you will spend time taking care of it or working on it.  It always seems that we find more time for the trivial than the important.  Then when faced with a time issue we find we can’t get the important thing done because we spent too much time on the trivial.  I can attest to this, because I do this too much.  Procrastination is sometimes allowing fear to set our schedule.  We can have a tendency to delay a tough important issue and then when we get to it, it’s a greater issue than what it could have been if we took care of it.  Being generous with our time might mean we are inconvenienced with our time to help someone.  This brings me to the last way of generosity.

This last way incorporates the other two ways of generosity and that is helping others.  We can help them when we are generous with our money, we can help them when we are generous with our time.  We can help them in the most awesome way and that is being generous with ourselves.  This means that pain that you have overcome you can share with others and help them get over their pain.  This is my motivation in becoming a personal trainer; I want to save people from their pain of being obese and dying faster.  Other than sharing our pain, just being a loving positive person can have an effect on people.  Using running as an example, one of the things I love to do is run the opposite way everyone else runs.  It’s a phenomena, people have a tendency to walk or run counter clockwise on a round track.  So I run or walk the opposite way so that I can say to people that they are doing awesome or great.  To me if you are out there running or walking you are doing something awesome.  Being generous with ourselves means loving people unconditionally.  We come back to the word I liked in the definition and that is overflowing.  The whole idea of unconditional love is to have it overflowing from your heart to others hearts.  We can be a light to people, and that light can speak to their darkness.  When we are generous with our money, our time, and mostly with ourselves, we can be someone’s angel.  Winners win when they are generous because winners make winners out of other people.   As the above verse points out if you want your world to get larger, be generous.  If you want your world to be small and lonely, be stingy with yourself.  It’s your choice, no one else’s.

© [David Howard], [David’s Body Temple], 2011-2015.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s